Chorey Charts might look complicated at first, but in practice, they’re simple enough for a child to set up. Remember: all parts are interchangeable and stackable. You can set the game up however you please; these are just guidelines.
Types of Charts
This is the chart, made of Core Strips, that shows the chores for the week, and the resultant prizes thereof. The day labels sit atop it.
How To Set Up
- Put up a name plate with the child’s name and the date.
- Put up the day labels for the days your child will have chores.
- Lay down some Core Strips to hold the chores you’d like your child to do.
- Optionally incentivize the chores or days you’d like your child to work on.
- Lay down rules to further tune the game to your child’s abilities.
- Consider tiering rules. For example, lay down a Rule Strip that says that if your child gets 15 hits, they get one prize, but the Rule Strip below it says that 20 hits yield another, better prize. They could get both or either.
- Blitz Tokens are wonderful here. They can vary in value week to week, and if a child has stored a Blitz in her trophy case, she could use it to bolster the number of hits for that week.
- Prizes don’t have to be golden. You can make a Task Token a prize, and when your child wins it, it can go in the Open Chart.
- If applicable, don’t forget the Trophy Case. Empty or full, it is motivating.
- If you haven’t already, lay down a strip or series thereof to build an Open Chart.
How To Play
- At the end of every day, add Hit and Strike Tokens to the chart as appropriate.
- As your child does random good things, add task-appropriate task tokens to the open chart.
- At the end of the week,
- reward the child for any prizes they won for a good day or a completed week of tasks,
- tally up all won hit tokens and award the child according to any rules set up,
- put the prizes in the Trophy Case or award them as need be.
- Don’t let the Trophy Case get too full! Remember, you promised.
- Feel free to exchange the Prize Token immediately. The Trophy Case is there to hold prizes you can’t immediately award.
- Adjust the chores, times and prizes as need be, change the date on the Name Plate, take down the hit and strike tokens and start again!